Pages

Ads 468x60px

.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Involving the kids!!

I have had these lunch trays for awhile.  I haven't ever really used them.....until now.

Using each compartment as a food group, I create lunches for the kids.  They like "building" sandwiches or cheese and crackers, etc.  And I make sure that they get a great, healthy, lunch!  Obviously, you would adjust the amounts for the ages of your kids. Today, we have:

Protein: ham (2 oz.)
Fruit: half of a banana
Vegetable: Celery
Grain: half a piece of bread (100% whole wheat that I make myself.)
Dairy: string cheese (all natural)
Treat: 1 TBSP of 70%  dark chocolate chips
Water to drink.

I only gave them these amounts to help create correct portion sizes.  CLICK HERE for a great resource on the correct portion sizes for children! (Obviously, they could have more of the celery, but let's face it, I'm not sure that they will eat what they have.)  IF they are still hungry when they are done, they can have more to eat, but this time, they get HALF of a portion size of protein, vegetable or fruit.  After that, they are done until snack time.  (Yes, we have snack time. I'm trying to do the "6 small meals/day" idea.)

There you have it!  Really easy and fun!


I am on my way to becoming The Healthy Redhead!


No comments:

Post a Comment