Pages

Ads 468x60px

.

Monday, May 6, 2013

Not For Any Price....



A Man For All Seasons


I recently read an article where the author, Elder Tad R. Callister, quoted from the play "A Man For All Seasons."  He comments:
Robert Bolt’s classic play A Man for All Seasons is the story of Sir Thomas More. He had distinguished himself as a scholar, lawyer, ambassador, and, finally, as Lord Chancellor of England. He was a man of absolute integrity. The play opens with these words of Sir Richard Rich: “Every man has his price! … In money too. … Or pleasure. Titles, women, bricks-and-mortar, there’s always something.” That is the theme of the play. It is also the theme of life. Is there a man or woman in this world who cannot be bought, whose integrity is beyond price?

As the play unfolds, King Henry VIII desires to divorce Queen Catherine and marry Anne Boleyn. But there is a catch: divorce is forbidden by the Catholic Church. And so King Henry VIII, not to be thwarted in his desires, demands of his subjects the taking of an oath that will support him in his divorce. But there is a further problem.

Sir Thomas More, who is loved and admired by the common people, is a holdout—his conscience will not let him sign the oath. He is unwilling to submit, even at the king’s personal request. Then come the tests. His friends apply their personal charm and pressure, but he will not yield. He is stripped of his wealth, his position, and his family, but he will not sign. Finally, he is falsely tried for his life, but still he will not succumb.

They have taken from him his money, his political power, his friends, and his family—and will yet take his life—but they cannot take from him his integrity. It is not for sale at any price.
At the climax of the play, Sir Thomas More is falsely tried for treason. Sir Richard Rich commits the perjury necessary to convict him. As Sir Richard exits the courtroom, Sir Thomas More asks him, “That’s a chain of office you are wearing. … What [is it]?”
Prosecutor Thomas Cromwell replies, “Sir Richard is appointed Attorney-General for Wales.”

More then looks into Rich’s face with great disdain and retorts, “For Wales? Why, Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. … But for Wales!” In the life to come, no doubt many will look back a midst uncontrollable sobs and repeat again and again, “Why did I trade my soul for Wales or temporary physical pleasure or fame or a grade or the approval of my friends? Why did I sell my integrity for a price?”

To Thine Own Self Be True

This has been weighing (no pun intended) on my mind for quite some time.  Anyone that knows me, knows that integrity is a HUGE deal for me.  Many years ago, I learned that I cannot let my integrity slide, not even in the slightest.  I am an honest person, or so I thought.  However, I have come to realize that although I keep my promises and commitment with others, I struggle to do so with myself. That is, when it comes to my health.  In Shakespeare’s play Hamlet, Polonius says to his son Laertes:
To thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.
What sound advice!   Applying it to my current journey to health, I can say that I have made promises to myself that I am not willing to break.  That doesn't mean that the temptation isn't there though.  For example. Yesterday, I came out of the shower to find one Twix candy bary sitting on my pillow.  A gift from my husband.  I struggled with the decision to eat it, knowing that I had made a conscience decision to eat healthier.  Now, justification says "Everyone gets to 'cheat' now and then." or "You can't be TOO strict.  You can't maintain that."  And, in a normal circumstance, those are both true statements?  


You Can't Buy Me Off With A TWIX Bar!  

Yesterday was Cinco de Mayo.  I had PLANNED on eating yummy, Mexican food with CHEESE and SOUR CREAM, and WHITE TORTILLAS!!  I had already planned a HUGE cheat day!  Because it was planned, I was able to stay within my calories and still enjoy the foods that I love.  (I have an unreasonable love affair with Mexican food.)  So now, I was faced with a decision....


To my own self be true? or Do I "give my soul to WHALES" (the Twix bar?)  I looked around me. To the right. To the left.  Then, I looked up. I knew the promises that I had made. You can probably guess what happened next. Well, I picked up the candy bar and took it into my husband and said: 
"Thanks so much for the candy!  That's so nice! I think that the boys would like to share this, and I don't need it."  (or something to that effect.)
He understood and was not offended at all.   I felt better knowing that I didn't give in.  Not for Whales.  Not for a Twix bar!  

I know that someday, I'll be able to take the bar and save it for another time when I can plan for it.  I also know that there will be a day when I don't eat sugar at all (because it really isn't good for you.)  But for this minute, I succeeded. I was true to myself. What a great reminder about being true to ourselves in all things! My conscience has a sign on it that says:


NOT FOR SALE FOR ANY PRICE!

And to that, I might add... "Especially a Twix bar!" 

Nothing Tastes as Good as Being Healthy Feels

In those secret moments, when you are a lone and no one is watching, DON'T GIVE IN!  You can't!  You have worked too hard!  This reward is FAR greater than any food, movie, TV show, or whatever will take you away from the end goal.  And such is the same for our life!  PLEASE!!  LOOK UP!  Remember that someone ALWAYS knows when you cheat!  What is that saying?  "Nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels!"  That's right!  And to THAT, I would add "Nothing tastes as good as being healthy and true feels!"

I am on my way to becoming The Healthy Redhead!

No comments:

Post a Comment